ponedjeljak, 9. travnja 2012.

How my love affair began. Lost+Found!

"I love vintage clothes because they seem to make extravagance less costly to obtain, and I like to imagine the story behind each piece. Who wore it, where did she wear it, and who did she meet? Was it her favorite hat? Did she save up for it? I love the mystery of vintage clothes." ~ Dita von Teese


As you might have noticed I am crazy for old and unique vintage clothing. I'd say at least 90% of all me clothing is gathered from vintage shops from all over. A vintage shop is kind of like a forest to paramores, hunting for the craziest and coolest pieces. It is a little adventure, you never know what you find, where it comes from, where it was made and how it made his way to the shop you find it. The greatest thing about vintage is that you can be pretty sure to be the only one wearing it and if you come home showing your mom what you just acquired she will pretty sure tell you ''how funny, that's exactly what we've worn ages ago when we were about your age''...

Vintage clothing does get marked up over standard used-clothing prices, and some of it can be downright expensive. But in most cases, it’s still cheaper than new clothing.
Some people enjoy trying to keep up with the season-to-season fashion trends, but if you don’t feel like messing around with all of that, just get yourself some nice, always-fashionable pieces from your local vintage store.

The use of all the vintage talk is that I want to post photographs of all the nice pieces I have lately found in vintage shops I've been to.

Ivory vintage blouses
1950's bubi Peter Pan collar
1950's jacket
I'll show you only the details of my new pieces, because it will not be interesting after to see me wearing these wonderful vintage clothes.
Now, before you go telling me that vintage clothes are just old rags that smell bad, let me school you a little. Vintage, TRUE vintage, especially if it's been well preserved through the years, is quite the opposite of that.

Black 1940's transparent blouse
 
At this point, I've been wearing vintage for most of my life, and I'm not here to tell you that it's because I'm cooler or more vintage than you. "Free Dress" days are a pretty huge deal when you spend most days of your life wearing the same exact thing as the few hundred other kids you're constantly surrounded by. I discovered and became a fan of vintage because it was my way to stand out. If shopping at the mall meant looking like everyone else in non-uniform clothes.
I found individuality through wearing vintage, and it is why I still wear it today. When I saved every time I had to buy myself a 1940's black satin gown for my prom, there was absolutely no fear of running into some other girl wearing the same exact dress. And on that note, don't think that vintage is so outside of the norm that it can only be outrageous or wacky. Although there are certainly many pieces that lean toward the more unique end of the spectrum, vintage can also be very simple and classic.

Whirlaway Frocks dress from the 1940's
I'm in love with this collar
 
If you're new to the world of vintage, I understand that it can feel somewhat overwhelming. Simply put, if you get to understand the different eras and fit, vintage clothing starts to become a lot less intimidating. The first thing you should know right off the bat is that modern clothes are made to look good on hangers, whereas vintage clothes were made to look good on PEOPLE. Most vintage garments really don't come across so hot when they're just hanging in a shop or closet, so it's very important to give stuff a chance even if it looks stupid or unflattering. For the most part, it's impossible to tell how most vintage pieces are supposed to fit or lay until you literally put them on.

1960's green jacket
1940's sailor jacket
1960's red jacket with an interesting bow
Vintage brooches found. Adore them!
1950's circle skirt
Mark Farrel 1950's jacket. I love those old patterns! I think people were so creative and imaginative in those days to come up with them.
1940's straw hat
I like to collect all antique/vintage things and I like to think about the way people lived in the past.
I try to copy their style and I love vintage things so much!

I'll show you in this post what antique things I lately found!
 
I love bringing beautiful, whimsical and useful vintage things back from the forgotten corner of the attic. I don't know if it's as I've got older but I'm starting to appreciate things with a little bit of history behind them.

The structure of an elephant's family.
Porcelain antique doll

Although, to many people, porcelain dolls can be some of the scariest dolls that one can cross paths with, you will find that there are so many other people that find porcelain dolls beautiful and near one of a kind. I’m a lover of these dolls!
Dolls are definitely not just for children. Grown-ups also have this fascination towards porcelain dolls because having these dolls transport us back to their childhood – back when everything seems to be a lot less complicated. Seeing these dolls displayed in our homes would definitely bring back the genuine smiles that we once had when we were still young.
These beautiful porcelain dolls are great for almost all special occasions and makes a perfect gift for the special person you love. Last weekend my boyfriend bought me one and he made my day!

I love vintage porcelain cats.
Nefertiti & a Victorian posy.
Old German bottles.
Vintage baby pillow from Grandma. Love it!
Bowl for pralines
 
All of these treasures have stories behind them, I may not know what these stories are but I love that they have a history. I often wonder if once upon a time, a girl of my age from a century ago owned any of my treasures, if they sat on her dressing table while she brushed her hair and was bound into a corset that gave her a waist so teeny. I only hope that these treasures stay in my family for generations and maybe my great-great-great grandchildren will wonder the same thing...

Do you ever go antiques hunting or do you prefer everything more 21st century? Are there any treasures in your family that have been passed down through the generations? 

I have always had a never-ending respect for the older...
However, antique things became a passion of mine since just one little bottle inspired me...

Hope you enjoyed this wonderful little things.
And don't forget, it's the little things in life that make us happy!

All my love,

Idda van Munster

Broj komentara: 19:

  1. This clothes are wonderfull, I love the vintage style!

    Your blog is great!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. I love your collection of vintage things, and I m so sad cus in my town we don't have antique shops.
    I must tell you that I have my little collection, but I love the most my vintage radio and gramophone that I have inherited from my grandma :).

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Nice! Thanks, glad you like it! Post some photos on your blog, I want to see your gramophone and radio. Kiss

      Izbriši
  3. Kako prelepe stvari ti imaš, ja sam oduševljena.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. Predivni stvari si pronašla. Trebala si pokazati sve porculanske lutke (predivnu kolekciju koju imaš) ti i ja smo se složile da su to inače divneeee lutke, iako su mnogima strašne...
    Ja se uvijek radujem kad pronađem pokoju staru košulju ili neki predmet koji je pripadao mojim majkama (iliti nanama). U Bos. Petrovcu je iza mojih dide i majke ostalo mnogo tih starina, pa se nadam da ću ih jednoga danas sve sebi donijeti :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Hvala! Ovo sam pronašla u posljednje vrijeme, a kolekciju lutkica čuvam za neke od budućih postova.
      Obavezno prikupi sve!

      Izbriši
  5. predivan blog i predivan post :) vidi se da se jako trudiš i da voliš to što radiš! vintage se ponovo nosi i sve ovo što ti imaš danas možemo kupit u zari, samo u novijem obliku ;) ali tvoje je ipak vrijednije jer nosi neku priču! nastavi dobar posao, pratim te!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Wow, you really found some great pieces! My clothes are probably 60% vintage and 40% new. I do a lot of mixing. If I had access to more vintage stores, I'd have a lot more stuff! There are no good stores where I live now. My mom told me that she found a box of old hats from my grandma's attic and she's going to mail them to me. I can't wait!!!

    Mabel
    Mabel Time

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. Thanks for your comment on my blog - and now I've come to have a look at yours I'll DEFINITELY be following along. Beautiful blog and some beautiful pieces here. And I agree with everything you say about vintage in this post! x

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. dear, i love vintage so I'm glad I find this blog:)great post!

    Patchwork à Porter

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. cudesan blog...wow
    naravno pratim , kako ovo ranije nisam vidjela?!!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. Thank you all! Love, love, love!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. Your clothes is so gorgeous, everything looks so beautiful and elegant! The sailor jacket it's preeetty <3

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. što izdvojiti!!!?
    sviđam sve,
    još da mi se sa slamnatim
    šeširićom punom obilja
    prošetati gdje
    ...
    predvne bluze ,tkanine,
    kakvih danas možeš naći
    na adresama skupih dizajnera
    i shsU,kojem je svaka posjeta
    nova pustolovina
    i sam taki adrenaln!!!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  13. where do you find vintage clothes in Sarajevo? such lovely finds.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  14. da stvarno, gdje to naci u sarajevu? nisam upucena, ali se nekako pocelo poistovjecivati vintage sa second hand. to ne bi trebalo da je isto, ili? :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  15. hi idda iv just found your blog and my god its amazing, i cant beleive reading this post as i have a few old antiques that i have collected and i love them and i often wonder were they came from and what pleasure they brought someone, i love collecting bits but it can be costly especially as i have a huge love for clothes which is another expensive habit. thank you so much for this beauitiful post it is truly lovely, i am following you and would be thrilled if you could take a look at my blog, im still only getting the hang of it so my blog is not very fancy, i adore vitage clothes but find it very hard to get sizes to fit me they are always tiny sizes. U are so beautiful by the way you really do look like a movie star from the 40's your make up is amazing. kisses from dublin xxx leonie

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  16. Hi, I just recently found your blog and started browsing your older posts. I hate to tell you this, but these clothing you have shown here are not exactly as old as you think.
    I don't know what you consider to be vintage but I don't think 80's or 90's clothing to be vintage. That Whirlaway jacket is not from 40's. The company was established in 1942 but that jacket is much newer product, perhaps late 70's or 80's-early 90's. Design of the taglabel goes more to the style of those eras. Same thing with the Mark Farrel jacket, style may be from 50's but the taglabel looks much newer and the company was actually established some time in the 90's. Many newer decades have taken inspiration from old eras.
    I love your style but I recommend that you get to know better the vintage styles, what the seams are like in old clothing, the prints colours and materials of the old vintage and also checking the company labels will help to find out the real age of the clothes. It's also worth keeping in mind that many clothes still in the 40's and 50's were made by private seamstresses, so these clothes don't have any labels in them.

    OdgovoriIzbriši